Sunday, January 17, 2010

Glitches in Paradise

We head home from Florida in two days. Despite record-breaking cold at night, we had delightful warm, sunny afternoons on the deck. We got to the beach a couple of times, although after walking the few blocks when we first arrived, we've been driving over. It just seems easier (and easier on Tony's knees, too), but to me it signals that things are going in the wrong direction.
In fact, I've had several such signals, particularly in the last few days. We had a delicious dinner a few nights ago at the one really good restaurant on the beach, but at home a couple of hours later, I got to coughing so hard that I tossed up my dinner, too.
Chris (my son who is a hospice case manager) keeps urging me to take the morphine I have, that it will help supress the cough as well as handle any pain. But I am very reluctant. It's hard not to see taking morphine as yet another sign that my condition is deteriorating.
Friday night, for the first time ever, I had to use the heating pad all night to keep my back discomfort (presumably the adrenal gland tumor) at bay. And then I started using the pad again middle of the afternoon on Saturday, far earlier than my more usual night-time use. I took an oxycodone pain pill Saturday early evening and again at midnight and they definitely helped. They also seem to supress the cough, so a nice side benefit. As I sit here writing this, all I am doing for my back discomfort is using a pillow on the chair.
Traveling Tuesday may be a little tricky. Tony went & got a heat wrap for me to try out today, to see if that might substitute for the heating pad while traveling. We have a non-stop to LaGuardia, but then the car ride home. And he'd like me to try the morphine, so we have some idea of what we've got.
Meanwhile, it is unexpectedly sunny this morning and tomorrow is supposed to be great, so a few more hits of glorious weather before we head north for 10 days. We are already plotting out the drive back down. Basically, Tony's idea is to take it in very small bites, three hours at most in the car in one shot. At that rate, we'll have some leisurely lunches and dinners and take 3 1/2 days for the 22-hour trip.
Jayson as well as Hamilton & Annette have already booked their plane tickets to come see us in February. Fingers crossed I am up to it.
One positive: my hair is definitely growing. I'm sure it will be months before I can give up my head scarves, but it is definitely coming in -- soft & white!

No comments:

Post a Comment