Wednesday, February 10, 2010

An Upturn


As anyone who has skimmed this blog knows, the whole experience has been incredibly up and down -- emotionally and physically. Jayson came home Monday night for a quick three-day visit from the mountains of Colorado and what a boost for me! I was showered and dressed Tuesday morning before he was even up.
We just had a very special morning, talking about what was important in our relationship and some about his future, about what I am sad to miss getting to see.
Since I taught him to ski at age 3 by skiing with him between my legs (oh such a young back and strong legs I had then!), he credits me with starting him on what has become a tremendously satisfying career/lifestyle as owner of Crested Butte Mountain Guides.
And for some reason, his lady of choice is almost always an athletic blond.
Last night Jay, Mara, Tony & I had fun looking through family photo albums. We have so many that each child has their own as well as several collective family albums. Tony even dug out some favorite photos of the two of us, looking incredibly young, of course, in Morocco where we met. And Jay was really surprised to see 26-year-old me in Amsterdam, a few months before I met Tony -- long blond hair, slim, all smiles. A very happy time.
Jay asked if I had any regrets, things I didn't get to do and really the only specific was not getting back to Morocco with Tony and the whole family. I guess that's not bad for 65 years.
Snows starting to fall now. Feels good to be typing away. Jay is only half-way through the visit, so till lots to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki,
    Nancy Ginsberg suggested I look at your blog, and, as I told Chris when I saw him at a Hospice staff meeting this morning, I am blown away by the beauty and courage of your posts. I'm reminded of Paul Monette's "Borrowed Time" an intimate account from early in the AIDS epidemic which, like your writing, captures the simple poetry of everyday life in extroadinary but univeral circumstances. I am moved by the love and honesty you are giving and receiving with your loved ones and send deepest best wishes for you and your family on this journey.
    Debra Moskowitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vicki,
    I heard the devasting news from our mutual friend Sandra. I was totally blown away. I have always admired you since our first meeting many years ago. You are truly an inspirational person in many, many ways: so intelligent, caring, attractive, kind, and above all a regular person who is really concerned about others. I am praying for you and your total enjoyment of whatever time remains for you and that your family can grasp the true beauty of you as a human being and that your children will continue on each of their life's journey with the incredibly great example you've set for them to follow. My special prayer for Tony is that he may be able to continue to muster, for himself, the strength and caring he has exhibited for so many others. May God bless you all.
    Mary Bartolotta

    ReplyDelete