Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Chemo #3

Started with a check-up by Dr. Sunkin, with everything looking good. Had a new CEA (the tumor marker test) that had dropped even further in a week, down to 7.4, so all the news was good.
Started the chemo process with the usual 20 minutes of an anti-nausea drug & a steroid. Then, began the Taxotere infusion, at half the normal, which was the pace that worked after my reaction to it during Chemo #2. But even half-rate wasn't sufficient yesterday. After 5 minutes or so I got a reaction again. This time, it was just the really severe lower back pain. We stopped it before the other symptoms appeared. So they gave me another steroid injection, waited 30 minutes, and started it up at 1/6 the normal infusion rate for 15 minutes. When that went well they went to 1/3 the normal rate for another 15 minutes and then to 1/2 the rate for the rest of the time. It went fine, but what with the 30-minute wait time, it all took forever. We left the house at 8:30 and didn't get home till 4:00. A good day's work. Hamilton came this time, to check it all out, along with Tony. Luckily, they both had their laptops as well as cell phones to work for some of the time. I had my Berry to monitor e-mail, and I still had Sunday's NY Times as well as Tuesday's, so I was busy too.
Tony & Ham ran into Dr. Sunkin downstairs at the coffee/lunch place and he told them how brave & dignified he thought I was. Nice to hear.
I go back up today for just the two-hours of IV fluids & the Neulasta injection to boost the immune system, then I go down my chemo hole for a few days. I've got a big pile of books at the ready.
Speaking of books, if you haven't read "Three Cups of Tea," do so. It is absolutely awe-inspiring, a true story about building schools in the wilds of Pakistan & Afghanistan. It starts slowly, but is worth hanging in there. This is the guy who should have won the Nobel Peace Prize. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Vicki,

    I work for Michelle Rea; she gave me the book "Three Cups of Tea" for Christmas on your recommendation. I asked her if she'd send me a link to your blog, and I've been reading it ever since. I don't know if you remember me, but I've been to several conventions and have met you (and enjoyed your smiling face and friendly manner) on a few occasions.

    I've just started the book and wanted to write briefly, to offer my thanks for your candid posts, express my amazement at your bravery, and show my sincere gratitude for your having become an inspiration to me. I want to wish you all the best for warm, wonderful days in Florida, quality time with your family, and painless peace in the midst of the heartbreaking situation you are facing.

    With humility and a new sense of appreciation for all I have and all your blog has taught me,

    Amy Wink Krebs
    New York Press Association

    ReplyDelete