Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Early Thanksgiving

Our family Thanksgiving celebration this past weekend was simply wonderful. Rob & Ellie came up from Brooklyn with the huggables (Arabelle, 4, & Charlotte, 6). Newlyweds Hamilton & Annette flew up from New Orleans (here for the week), Chris & Gwen came Saturday and then brought Casey, 13, and CJ, 12, on Sunday. Mara & Tony were here, of course. Sitting around the dinner table Saturday night, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much. It was just a delight. And Sunday, turkey day, was a repeat. Mara did the lion's share of the cooking, including two different stuffings, one for each bird, with the able help of Ellie and assistance from Hamilton, Annette, & Tony. Chris contributed a delicious side dish. All I did was occasionally advise. Sunday, Jayson called from Colorado and we passed around the phone, so truly everyone was here.
The one poignancy was that I couldn't help wondering if this would be my last Thanksgiving. I saw a headline in the NY Times Dining section about tensions around the family Thanksgiving table. I didn't even bother reading it, it was so far from our experience, as I looked around and saw all these smiling, caring faces. If it is my last, it really was just about perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment