Thursday, November 12, 2009

Easier the Second Time Around

Well, it turns out that the second round of chemo was easier than the first. I had none of the most unpleasant side effects affecting digestion, etc. And I was not knocked out quite so much, although I did spend most of four or five days in/on the bed. My appetite was a little better, too. I can only hope the rest of the treatments are like the second round, not the first.
With Jayson here through the 2nd chemo round, he kept urging me to get up & out, to take advantage of the unusually warm weather. I did manage to hobble outside & read the Sunday papers in the sun on the deck. It felt delicious, but then some back discomfort drove me back to bed and the heating pad. I realized I hadn't needed the heating pad for over a week, but for some reason, the discomfort at the adrenal tumor site came back. It was nothing severe. I didn't need to take any pain med. The heating pad took care of it. When I asked the doctor about the recurrence, he really had no idea. The whole pain thing is a mystery. I've never had anything like the pain that drove me to the ER in the first place, or back to the hospital after Mississippi -- thank goodness.
On Day 3, feeling somewhat energetic still, I had Tony give me a buzz cut. I was tired of shedding more hair than our Golden Retriever. A week later, I continue to lose this last little bit of hair.
I am a little surprised at how much I hate how I look almost bald. I didn't think it would bother me, but it really does. I probably should have seen that coming. After all, I've been bleaching my hair since I was about 18, which is a pretty long time to be focused on hair. One problem is that I never wear hats. I hate the way they feel, so having to wear something on my head all the time -- either a wig or turban wrap -- is uncomfortable. As much as I hate how I look, I can see I will probably go around the house bald and just put a cover on when I go out. After all, I don't see myself. I pretty much avoid mirrors.
Returning for the Day 8 follow-up to the oncologist yesterday, all the blood work looked okay to him, although most of the numbers continue to fall. He said there are no red flags, that it all just shows I am getting chemo. There is one set of results, though, kind of lurking in the background, that show a slightly impaired liver function. The physician's assistant that we had seen after the first chemo also mentioned it. Dr. Sunkin reiterated that the liver had been clean on the scans, but it is a little troubling.
I am on schedule for the next chemo two days before Thanksgiving. So we are planning to have Thanksgiving dinner the Sunday before. Hamilton & Annette are coming in for a week. Rob, Ellie & the girls will come up for the weekend, and Chris & family will come over. Since we don't usually all get together for Thanksgiving, this will make it extra special. We will only be missing Jayson. Mara, Tony & I are trying to decide on size(s) of turkey(s) and where to order a fresh, local bird from. Fun!

1 comment:

  1. Courageous Vicki! Try and remember the beautiful you is on the inside and it always shines through despite our outward appearance.
    Peace and love from Crested Butte!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete