Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Nightmare Resolved

I got the opinion of two other oncologists when I didn't hear back from Dr. Sunkin about delaying Chemo #4. Seems it is not a problem, that the 21-day chemo cycle has less to do with the effectiveness of the drugs at that interval than the fact the body needs three weeks to recover sufficiently to take another hit. Then, this morning, Sunkin called from San Antonio and also said right away it is no problem to delay treatment. They all said in the long run, the delay will not affect the outcome.
So at this point I'm thinking if there is a Chemo #4 in the offing, maybe it just gets postponed all the way till after New Year's weekend, so I can enjoy our family Xmas slated for that weekend.
In the meantime, I am still so tired two weeks after the last chemo that I relish the thought of having a longer recovery period. I am still spending more of the day on the bed than off.
After several more calls, it also looks like insurance after the first of the year will not be an issue, that all Tony's hard work researching options will cover Sloan or St. Peter's.
Now, we have to collect the massive amount of info Sloan K. wants for the visit: 7 actual biopsy slides as well as the report, all the PET, CT & MRI reports as well as a copy of the actual scans. Of course, most of Sunkin's chart on the treatments, medications, etc., etc. About the only thing they don't want is the early blood work. They only want recently labs.
So tomorrow we go off for the PET scan, leaving at 7:30 a.m. so I can sit in an over-heated lead-lined room for 100 minutes while the radioactive material they inject courses through my body (I don't feel it). The scan only takes about 20 minutes. Then, we'll try to start arranging to have the info sent to Sloan.
In the meantime, I hope to get the PET results on Friday & I will keep my 12/16 appt. with Dr. Sunkin to hear what he plans, once he sees the PET results. That way, when we go to Sloan to see thoracic oncologist Dr. Naiyer Rizvi, we can compare apples to apples.
Fingers crossed that the irritating little post-nasal drip cough I seem to have these days (nothing to do with the cancer) doesn't disrupt lying still for tomorrow's scan. Seems like it's always something

No comments:

Post a Comment